Robert D. Fine
Mr. Fine leads the firm's Business & Civil Litigation Group. He has extensive trial experience in state and federal courts and is serving as the general counsel to the receiver for Rhode Island-domiciled insurance companies in receivership liquidation proceedings. Mr. Fine has extensive corporate litigation and anti-trust experience including the defense of a Fortune 500 company. He has written and lectured extensively in the area of employment law and the American with Disabilities Act. He is a board member of the Penn Alumni Club of Rhode Island, the Gordon School and a former board member of Temple Beth-El.
Mr. Fine is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell and has been named a leading business litigation lawyer by the New England Super Lawyers directory. He has been selected as a Leader in the Law by Rhode Island Lawyers' Weekly.
Mr. Fine is one of the founders of Chace Ruttenberg & Freedman, LLP. He was formerly a partner in the Providence law firm of Tillinghast Licht & Semonoff, LLP.
- Marques v. Pawtucket Mutual Insurance Co., 915 A.2d 745 (RI 2007): representing state court appointed rehabilitator of insurance company which successfully emerged from rehabilitation, defending claims of creditors challenging rehabilitation plan.
- Whitehouse v. Rumford Property and Liability Insurance Co., 658 A.2d 506 (RI 1995): representing state court appointed receiver of an insurance company in litigation regarding claim filing procedures and bar dates.
- UXB Sand and Gravel v. Rosenfeld Concrete Corp., 599 A.2d 1033 (RI 1991): represented by and seller of land with mineable gravel operations and defeated antitrust claims of previous renter.
- Serzan v. Director of Dept. of Evnironmental Mgmt., 692 A.2d 671 (RI 1997): successfully represented landowner in a claim for additional compensation in an eminent domain case.
- Niehoff v. Maynard, 299 F.3d 41 (1st Cir. 2002): represented investors in private placement against managing member for breach of fiduciary duty.
- Rosciti v. Insurance Co. of State of Penn., 659 F.3d 92 (1st Cir. 2011): represented motor vehicle purchaser in precedent setting direct action against tortfeasor's insurer and obtained reversal of adverse ruling by lower court.
- Georgetown University Law Center (JD)
- University of Pennsylvania (BA, cum laude)
- University of London (MA)
- Rhode Island
- United States District Court, District of Rhode Island
- United States District Court, District of Massachusetts
- United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- Rhode Island Bar Association